Every company has the duty to ensure that their employees and their data are protected. As such, they need to hire the best professionals in the field to do this.
One of the best ways to get a job in cybersecurity is by getting certified. Certifications will give you an extra edge over other candidates and this might be enough for you to land that dream job.
The competition for cybersecurity jobs is high and so this aspect can give you an upper hand over your opponents.
The top technical skillsets for cyber security careers are:
1. Handling and Responding to Security Incidents
Any present threat of a current violation of an organization's security rules or standard security practices must be handled by a security practitioner. Malware, ransomware, phishing, Advanced Persistent Threats, Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) assaults, and other security events may be involved.
2. SIEM Administration
The ability to administer and evaluate security information and event management (SIEM) technologies and services is required of a security practitioner. You'll need to be able to automate the SIEM so that you can take the real-time analysis generated by alarms and turn it into incident response plans.
3. Intelligence & Analytics
A security professional must be able to use analytics and intelligence gathering to quickly identify and detect assaults. The security practitioner can use analytics and intelligence to aggregate network and application data in order to avoid future assaults.
4. Detection of Intruders
An IDS must be operated by a security practitioner who can then identify any suspicious traffic on the network as well as any security policy violations.
5. Malware Protection at its Finest
A security professional must be able to use advanced threat protection software to prevent, detect, and identify Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs) that could bypass standard security solutions such as anti-virus, firewalls, and intrusion prevention systems (IPS/IDS).
6. Digital Forensics
A security professional should be familiar with the forensic tools and investigative methodologies used to locate data, abnormalities, and malicious activities on a network, in files, or in other business areas.
7. Management of Identity and Access
A security professional must be aware of best practices for Identity and Access Management (IAM) and ensure that the security policy displays appropriate use for various roles and responsibilities within the company.
Now, here are the soft skills for cyber security careers
- There are many ways to get your foot in the door of cybersecurity. The first thing you need to do is research the various cybersecurity jobs that exist within an organization. You can then use LinkedIn or social media platforms to get in touch with recruiters, cyber analysts, and security professionals to ask for more information about their job roles.
- It is also important for you to be active on social networks so that you can network with potential employers or people who work in the field of information security and protection.
No matter what field you are in, the basics of security are always the same. You need to be vigilant, prepared, and aware. You need to know how to react in different situations and how to react when faced with breaches.
- Leadership is demonstrated through security professionals' credibility, responsiveness, and integrity.
- Security professionals are always learning about the latest trends, technologies, and security problems in the business world. You need to be passionate about learning.
- You must interact with the IT department, the C-level, and end-users as a cyber security specialist. At all levels of the company, it's critical that you see the big picture and ask the proper questions.
- There are many different ways that you can go about landing a cybersecurity job in the future. Your best bet is to pursue a certification course in cybersecurity or information protection or security studies.
If you don't have time for school you can sign up for an online training course with A2N Academy. A2N Academy provides the best quality cyber security training with real-time projects and mock interview sessions to help students get placed faster in their dream jobs.